Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

25% of Collingwood's list tests positive

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jg22 wrote:
For the younger Nicksters I ask - what percentage of your friends are taking these drugs and does this number they're discussing about our boys sound right?

Sounds on the low side to me. My daughter is 19 and I'd say well over half of her friends would dabble in recreational drugs.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:24 am

^ speaking to my 22 yr old cousin yesterday and he only knows of 2 or 3 people in his age group who haven't at least tried it. He's in the club scene which obviously would make it more prevalent but even back in my day, late 80's to early 90's, it was very much taboo and I'd be surprised if more than 10% took it.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 am

I'd suggest the Freo players know they are #1 or #2 and are just waiting for the news to break.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ hmmm that is all true WPT however at least you know what is in the alcohol product you buy from the shops and most buy their booze from shops not dodgy home brewers!

Nothing like watching someone in ICU hosing blood from every imaginable orrifice including their eyes as a result of taking a tainted illicit drug just once.

Or viewing a vegetative growth on the heart valves of someone who has injected drugs laced with talcum powder or kitty litter and knowing that person is well and truly fcked!

Yep true you only have to get really pissed once to do massive damage - drink driving, violence, aspiration etc.

It's not an either or for me - yep alcohol does massive damage if abused no question - but illicit drugs can do massive damage or kill with just one tab (cause who the fck knows what is actually in it) - that doesn't happen with just one drink - let alone the fact that people expose themselves to scumbags of the highest order who peddle this illicit shit!

And having run a detox unit - bloody lot easier to detox from booze than drugs especially metaphetamines and benzos - we shouldn't excuse it as recreational and a lifestyle choice of no consequence.

Morrigu, you've gone from one extreme to another IMO:

My view is using your last line, that is :

We should not treat legal alcohol as a recreational & a lifestyle choice that has no consequence & that was the reason for me posting this as the issue (whether implied or otherwise) is that it's all those nasty illicit drugs what causes issues as though there were no consequence for good ol' alcohol.

You've also worked in an ED where the vast majority of presentations from substance abuse are alcohol related. They use up the resources of police, ambulance etc ED's etc.

In ICU you've also intubated people over 0.4 & 0.5 blood alcohol level.....

You won't find me condoning illicit drug use per se but we need some perspective & balance on what seems to be some hysterical reactions to players using illicit drugs on their time off.

Stui, not so quick Wink

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:36 am

^^ followed by brisbane or are they just shite?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:40 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
^ speaking to my 22 yr old cousin yesterday and he only knows of 2 or 3 people in his age group who haven't at least tried it. He's in the club scene which obviously would make it more prevalent but even back in my day, late 80's to early 90's, it was very much taboo and I'd be surprised if more than 10% took it.

What are we talking about though?

Marijuana?
Ecstasy?
MDMA?
LSD?
GHB?
Speed?
Ice?
Cocaine?
Heroin?
The anaesthetic one whose name I forget?
Nitrous Oxide?

One of the issues with the players is they could have had one puff of a joint to ice abuse - none of use know - nor should we.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:44 am

I'm gobsmacked by how much alcohol people drink at the Footy.

The only redeeming feature is that the beer is so watered down there is likely little effect apart from a financial one as you need to get personal loan these days to eat & drink at the footy.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49 am

I have close 30-something friends (and not so close) who regularly smoke weed, as well as dabble in speed, coke, ecstasy, and occasionally ice. Me, I don't touch the stuff...booze is more my vice. I'd say close to 100% of my friends over time have tried any one of these, half dabble every now and then, and a handful regularly (e.g. every other day - weed, and every weekend - weed plus something else). That is why this 'story' is not alarming and quite frankly I read it and go, "Eh, whatever."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:52 am

John Wren wrote:
^ do you know what ingredients go into making ecstacy and lsd? ecstacy is created with toxic chemicals that include household cleaners. lsd is a chemical concoction of a different sort. they're no different to the powdered substances. the long term mental and physical effects can be found on the web.

I'm aware of that, but deaths from either drug are minuscule compared to deaths from alcohol overdose (let alone all the other stuff associated with drinking like drink-driving and physical assault). And long-term effects are not necessarily worse than those associated with alcohol.

Like most people who've taken these drugs once or twice, I've tried both LSD and MDMA (powdered ecstacy) and lived to tell the tale without any side effects. Dying from one pill is a freak occurrence.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am

David wrote:
John Wren wrote:
^ do you know what ingredients go into making ecstacy and lsd? ecstacy is created with toxic chemicals that include household cleaners. lsd is a chemical concoction of a different sort. they're no different to the powdered substances. the long term mental and physical effects can be found on the web.

I'm aware of that, but deaths from either drug are minuscule compared to deaths from alcohol overdose (let alone all the other stuff associated with drinking like drink-driving and physical assault). And long-term effects are not necessarily worse than those associated with alcohol.

Like most people who've taken these drugs once or twice, I've tried both LSD and MDMA (powdered ecstacy) and lived to tell the tale without any side effects. Dying from one pill is a freak occurrence.

dying once is enough for most people.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Marijuana?
Ecstasy?
MDMA?

These are generally the ones that I know of. And if the one you forget is ketamine, then that too.

#SIDEBYSIDE
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm

mandy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Marijuana?
Ecstasy?
MDMA?

These are generally the ones that I know of. And if the one you forget is ketamine, then that too.

You got it. The ol' memory. Must have been too many drugs in my younger years Wink

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm

watt price tully wrote:

The only redeeming feature is that the beer is so watered down there is likely little effect apart from a financial one as you need to get personal loan these days to eat & drink at the footy.

it seems a lot of people spend more time queuing for beer than watching the game.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 pm

John Wren wrote:
David wrote:
John Wren wrote:

dying once is enough for most people.

At some of the dance venues or country music festivals for dance music they have drug testers that tell the users if there are any nasties in the drug they've got. This type of thing needs to be encouraged from a harm minimisation point of view.

Did that NRL player earlier this year who was simulating dog f*cking on drugs or alcohol?

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 pm

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

it seems a lot of people spend more time queuing for beer than watching the game.

Laughing What game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21   

Jump to: