Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lets get Peanut man into the AFL hall of fame!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories.... beautiful memories... and arent we lucky to have lived them!

God bless the "peanut man"!

clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:08 pm
Post subject: THE LATE GREAT JOHN BOYDReply with quote

joffa i think we have discussed my old friend "uncle" johnny boyd previously, he used to run a few mittys type newsagents/adult book stores in the city most notably in lt bourke st or china town area, he used to have a soft spot for the filth he told me but he always went where the crowds were, suprise surprise so it was waverly and vic park and carlton and essendon for him...

its been a number of years since johnny passed away but still remember him fondly as he was a personal friend of a kid i went to school withs father ( paul and his dad peter browning) he had given peter the news paper Award of Merit back in 1956 and it still to this day takes pride of place in the brownings home

GOD BLESS YA UNCLE JOHNNY

SCHILLIN A BAG

NOMINATED FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP

Shags
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:15 pm
Post subject: Re: THE LATE GREAT JOHN BOYDReply with quote

clokeysneighbour wrote:
joffa i think we have discussed my old friend "uncle" johnny boyd previously, he used to run a few mittys type newsagents/adult book stores in the city most notably in lt bourke st or china town area, he used to have a soft spot for the filth he told me but he always went where the crowds were, suprise surprise so it was waverly and vic park and carlton and essendon for him...

its been a number of years since johnny passed away but still remember him fondly as he was a personal friend of a kid i went to school withs father ( paul and his dad peter browning) he had given peter the news paper Award of Merit back in 1956 and it still to this day takes pride of place in the brownings home

GOD BLESS YA UNCLE JOHNNY

SCHILLIN A BAG

NOMINATED FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP

Shags

Johnny Boyd, that's his name. My grandparents lived in the Pascoe Vale/Coburg area and were friends of his. He always used to bring around magazines for my parents (not those kind of magazines).

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:30 pm

magpie greg wrote:
He used to yell "shilling a bag" pre-1966.

He also was featured on ACA or similar program where he was shown to also run an adult book store.

That must be where he got th emoney for his Merc!

My memories of him are of a fat little guy,who had an uncanny ability to worm his way thru sardine packed standing room crowds.Even in 1972,when we played the Bombers to a packed house,there he was,and he was still yelling "Peanuts,SHILLING a bag,"despite the decimal currency.I usually bought them off him,a real battler of a bloke,a real character.I last saw him at the Western oval in the early 90s,i think it was,still in that same old moth eaten jumper,still flogging peanuts.
And,imagine if he tried to do it today,at the chardonnay sipping,corporate laden arshole of a ground,the Telstra dome,or whatever the hell they call it now.The poor bugger would be arrested,for selling peanuts and not the ripoff footy food the AFL coerces us to pay for.Ahh, the good ol days,gone forever....SIGH Crying or Very sad Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:
I was a Vic Park by 9.30 game day to rush for these seats.

It was on the south side of the Sherrin Stand, between the Rush and Sherrin stands and only one row of seats then.

that girl is a babe
clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 pm

john boyd was the classic example of never judge a book by its cover .. he looked like he slept the streets but died a multimillionaire believe me
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 pm

clokeysneighbour wrote:
john boyd was the classic example of never judge a book by its cover .. he looked like he slept the streets but died a multimillionaire believe me

Shocked He must have sold a shitload of peanuts then Exclamation Exclamation

clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm

he loved being around people and people loved him the peanuts were just a hobby the real money was in real estate and newsagencies
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm

skaman wrote:
Yes, I remember him Joffa. Kinda reminded me of a demented Bud Costello. He certainly had more crack than Harlem showing. Always got a bag or two. He used to scruff my hair occasionally as he walked by. Absolute icon of my youth. Wish someone had a photo of him!

Laughing Love it Skaman!

www.facebook/the hybernators
clokeysneighbour 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:32 pm
Post subject: this from princes parkReply with quote

A clash with the iconic Peanut Man led to a heated exchange when the nut vendor blocked the blues fan's view of the game. "Get stuffed" was the reply when the fan suggested that his right to see the play over-ruled the commercial imperative of selling nuts. And he'd seemed such a nice man..

that will teach you to mess with an icon you FILTH Smile
nulla 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Quote:

He used to yell "shilling a bag" pre-1966.

He also was featured on ACA or similar program where he was shown to also run an adult book store.

That must be where he got th emoney for his Merc!

Yep I remember "Peanuts Shilling a Bag Peanuts" the guys a legend

He used to also sell at Cramer st Preston Ground on Sundays.

We used to climb the fence on the Railway side of the ground in those days

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
god i'm old!

...and I'm very bloody old!
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:45 am

Wonderful to read all the responses. Great memories are good to share and a reminder as someone else pointed out a time when football did not scorn on characters of the game.Believe me in my days of growing up at Victoria Park the characters on my side of the fence were as big as the football players. Poor old Peanut man imagine this lovely man trying to get into the corporate dump ' telstra dome ' he'd be dragged out by security and arrested.
In a sense i guess football has lost it's soul it's now too commercial, void of characters which sadly has made it poorer. Thanks god for our time growing up in the outer when people were people and characters were characters.
What an absolute shame it all had to change!

You got my vote Peanut man

Give us a wave as you walk down the red carpet with your peanut bag over the shoulder in readiness to take your place in the AFL hall of fame
Three cheers to the peanut man
Hip Hip....Hooray
Hip Hip....Hooray
Hip Hip....Hooray

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:45 am

jmcp wrote:
Quote:
the peanut mans name was john boyd. matthew boyd of footscray ( i cant call them that other name) is his great nephew

Quote:
Funnily enough the one common thing i recall in those years was the cry
peanuts,shilling a bag,peanuts.
The bloke was always there with his hessian bag full of peanuts,rain hail or shine and for that decade not a week went past without him crying out his salespitch and flogging his bag full of nuts.
These days hed need an AFL permit, a safety course ,insurance against all sorts of things,and to be honest why would he bother these days.
But back then it was the way.

Tony de Bolfo wrote:
If you couldn't hear The Peanut Man's nasally spruik, "Peanuts, peanuts, shilling a bag" - which was unlikely - then you could easily see him. With his beerbottle glasses, leather moneypouch by his ample gut and nut-filled briquette sack slung over his right shoulder, The Peanut Man somehow managed to manouvre his frame through the vast hordes of supporters as he got to you with the goods.

edit: in reference to pricefixer park not pie park

Tony de bolfo one of the nicest guys in town with one exception he's a filth supporter!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:26 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
Wonderful to read all the responses. Great memories are good to share and a reminder as someone else pointed out a time when football did not scorn on characters of the game.Believe me in my days of growing up at Victoria Park the characters on my side of the fence were as big as the football players. Poor old Peanut man imagine this lovely man trying to get into the corporate dump ' telstra dome ' he'd be dragged out by security and arrested.
In a sense i guess football has lost it's soul it's now too commercial, void of characters which sadly has made it poorer. Thanks god for our time growing up in the outer when people were people and characters were characters.
What an absolute shame it all had to change!

You got my vote Peanut man

Give us a wave as you walk down the red carpet with your peanut bag over the shoulder in readiness to take your place in the AFL hall of fame
Three cheers to the peanut man
Hip Hip....Hooray
Hip Hip....Hooray
Hip Hip....Hooray

Joffa,mate,i think footy lost its soul when we lost all our suburban grounds.like vic park,moorabbin,western oval,windy hill,and yes.even waverley park.Footy has changed greatly,and not for the better,it might be a better game perhaps,but the suburban grass roots atmosphere is now sadly gone,and gone forever.Yep,the old peanut bloke would be manhandled and arrested if he got anywhere near inside the Telstra hole,and his peanuts confiscated.I mean,the greedy AFL cant have some guy flogging peanuts at decent prices,when all that ripoff tucker is there to be sold to the battling supporters.Fairdinkum,that Demitreou has not a bloody clue what supporters REALLY want,and he seems not to give a damn anyway.Like you, i have priceless memories of vic park,beer can hill,pinching the footy the day we kicked 30 goals against essendon,it went over the back fence,grassy end,and me and a mate dashed out and grabbed the 30 goal ball.Took off down trennery cres with two fat bluecoated old guys in pursuit,but we easily lost them.I wanted to give the ball back to the club some years later,but my silly mate lost it.
Just one memory i have of vic park,along with so many others,they sure were happy days.I showed vic park to my two young boys just before the last game,and they were in awe of it.But,thosedays and the peanut man are gone,but as you say,hip hip hooray Exclamation Exclamation Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: