Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
But here’s the problem: all of those academic journals and UN/WTO/EPA press releases combined had a fraction of the readership of Andrew Bolt or listenership of people like Alan Jones and John Laws (or, in America, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly and Tucker Carlson).

No, you're self-comforting. Those people chose to listen to Fox and Bolt, chose to make them champions and voices, and chose to filter them in and filter all of that other highly reputable content out to arm themselves with justification for their pre-existing desire. They were seeking copy-paste quips, gotchas and cult bum slaps, not conducting research.

That's how the brain works for all but the borderline mentally retarded and vulnerable. 'Truth' and 'fact' are to be found elsewhere, mostly through counter-motive or convenient/accidental/random incentive alignment. The most robust space of thought is probably enlightened self-interest, mutual interest, and reciprocity (doing a lot of research in cognitive biology for an AI-related project).

They know about the Koch funding and know that funding creates bias. Know full well. They know Trump is talking outright lies and gibberish. they will admit it very directly under the right circumstances. It's got nothing at all whatsoever with not knowing the facts or the fragility of what these supposed idols are saying. And they will turn on any one of those people in a second, and trample on their carcasses, if useful idiots like Carlson don't say what they want to hear. They did it with Fox recently when it started questioning Trump, and dropped Glenn Beck like he was carrying a vial of anthrax when they realised he was damaging their cause by being too satirical.

It's a parochial commitment, not a naive misunderstanding. And ridiculously easy to demonstrate, including experimentally.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:40 am

I agree it should be attempted murder, what a gutless piece of crap he is. no redemption.

Hope She makes a full recovery, but She will never forget the fear and pain. for that, he should suffer. general pop.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:41 am

^Just caught up with the story. Are the facts clear now? (I ask that because the Fly and Daics' well-wishes were legally careful when describing the nature of incident).

What a malicious, cowardly piece of work if true.

Was the poor lady B&W Phantom's mum? (No secret — openly shared in the tweet embedded in the Sky article). Does he still post here?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:21 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Just caught up with the story. Are the facts clear now? (I ask that because the Fly and Daics' well-wishes were legally careful when describing the nature of incident).

What a malicious, cowardly piece of work if true.

Was the poor lady B&W Phantom's mum? (No secret — openly shared in the tweet embedded in the Sky article). Does he still post here?
I haven't seen him post here, he's on Twitter now as are most of the old Nicks people. The allegations are he deliberately ran into her after she had a crack at him about riding on the footpath. Further to those allegations it will be alleged that he took off knowing he knocked her down. All claims and he will get his time in court to defend the charges. EScooter riders on the footpath are out of control. It's becoming safer to walk in the bike lane. I walk from Flinders St up St Kilda Road to work. I have had many a run-in with many an idiot telling them to get off the footpath. In that area, we have the TT's. Tradies and Tourists, Vic Pol could set up out side the NGV and we could clear the State debt with the amount of offending,
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:13 pm

^ E Scooters are an absolute menace to both road users and pedestrians.

Always worry about colliding into one when I'm driving through the CBD and the surrounding suburbs.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:30 pm

I wouldn't care if I am behind the wheel Very Happy On foot being hit by one can kill you. F=MxA.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm

Jezza wrote:

Always worry about colliding into one when I'm driving through the CBD and the surrounding suburbs.

Don’t be. You won’t cause much damage doing 30 km/h

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:11 pm

Pi wrote:
interesting article on healing ACL ruptures

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-09/acl-cross-bracing-protocol-natural-heal/103816688

it is very interesting, I read about that technique a short while ago, that article explains it better.

I buggered both knees, separately, when I was 15. Classic ACL example, the big hyperextension. The right one was worse. MRI's didn't exist back then and the quality of medical imaging equipment in the bush was poor to non existant apart from Xrays, so I was diagnosed with "strained ligaments" and mum took me to an Osteo, which didn't work. For years afterward usually when I was moving laterally, the right knee would just collapse and I'd hit the deck. After 15 years or so it stopped doing that. I don't know if that's because the ACL healed itself, I developed sufficient muscle strength in the area to cover for it, years of practice at avoiding movements that triggered it or a combination.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 pm

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The biggest enemy of the climate change activists has been themselves IMO. They've been spruiking doom and gloom for decades and to date, all of their predictions have been wrong.

Not you, too! I guess what you're getting at is that they crap on about all manner of peripheral apocalyptic stuff and act as if they know things like exact dates (by 2020, whatever, whatever).

That's exactly what I mean. These spokespersons who made predicitions about the loss of the ice caps by 2013, coastal cities inundated etc etc. When they consistenly spruik apocalypse, put dates on it and it doesn't even come close to happening it undermines their credibility big time.

On the topic, can you explain what you meant by the Demographic Transition in yor reply to WIAN about population? Logically what he said makes complete sense.

As population has increased, deforestation has increased both for agriculture and housing, roads etc.
More people also consume more energy both personally and indirectly through increased manufacturing to meet increased demand.

Even just look at modern housing estates. Old houses used to be small houses on big blocks with lawn and gardens and god forbid, trees. New ones are huge things that take up the whole block, no back yard, no grass, maybe a token few shrubs out the front for decoration and hardly a tree in sight.

Knock off 2 billion people and plant 2 billion trees instead and tell me that wouldn't make a positive difference? (as long as you or I weren't one of the 2 billion people Wink )

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 pm

It’s an inconvenient truth that people don’t want to address because the solution is one that people can’t fathom. Humans are the biggest strain on the planet.

Scientists have calculated that the sustainable population of Earth is between 1.5 to 3 billion. None of the studies come in more than the current population.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:31 pm

Del.

Last edited by pietillidie on Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Jezza wrote:

100% everyweek going to and from the ground i get a close call. selfish idoits

someone will have to die before they change the rules

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm

^ if they were driven by internal combustion, they would have been banned already. But it’s a crisis of conscious for woke lefties who want to transition the world away from internal combustion.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
It’s an inconvenient truth that people don’t want to address because the solution is one that people can’t fathom. Humans are the biggest strain on the planet.

Scientists have calculated that the sustainable population of Earth is between 1.5 to 3 billion. None of the studies come in more than the current population.

But no scientist has proposed reducing the population to deal with global warming, or anything for that matter, except fringe nutters who also think you can click your fingers and usher in a golden age of communism where people only take as much as they need in an imaginary futuristic neolithic culture.

It's basically an IQ test you don't want to fail. The demographic transition is ironclad population physics, hence no one serious goes there after two minutes of research or even a half-serious thought exercise. As I say, you might as well announce that you're going to defeat gravity to reduce the menace of dangerous trips and falls. It's that sort of level of dumb.

There's a related far-right delusion when it comes to immigration. The ironclad economics law — short of a shrinking society served by robots — is that someone has to pay for every generation's maintenance years, with a related law being that capital flees a declining future because it's future-oriented. Even South Korea has held its 'one blood' nose and devised an immigration policy, which tells you how ironclad in practical reality it really is.

Somewhat hilariously, Japan is still holding out on immigration as it ages by the day, as if economic collapse and then extinction are better options than bringing in dirty immigrants. Of course, most countries can't hold out as long as Japan, which is still living off old savings and investments, because capital flees at the first hint of replacement rates dropping. But even Japan's amusing contortions to avoid population increase by immigration can only last so long.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:04 pm

^ of course. It is one that can be solved by reducing fertility, but that introduces a whole interesting ethical debate. There is research on this. Interesting stuff too.

COVID threatened to be the circuit breaker, but it fizzled out.

Everyone agrees that global warming is human driven. The funny thing is, 3 billion people could die due to climate change. Mother Earth will find a way to solve problems.

So take off your right wing hatred goggles. Not everything has to have a political leaning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41   

Jump to: