Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are our chances for 2024?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think our chances are of winning the 2024 premiership?
Very good – we're in the box seat and will be hard to stop
27%
 27%  [ 30 ]
Pretty good – we should finish top 4 and still be in contention on preliminary final weekend, but hard to know from there
47%
 47%  [ 51 ]
Unsure – new season, everyone starts from scratch, and we're just one of many teams that can win it
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
Not so good – expecting a premiership hangover and/or for other teams to pass us by
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 108

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A recap on the players cut loose...
and a comment on uncontracted players that are left.

Collingwood cut ties with quintet following premiership success

https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-cut-ties-with-quintet-following-premiership-success-afl-magpies-144330/

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:18 pm

I would think our chances to contend next year are excellent. We should have won this year by 5 goals or more. Apart from bobby hill, the rest of the forward line contributed 1 goal.

Hopefully we can improve there. With 5 or 6 players leaving, 5 or 6 will come in, plus mcstay, Johnson and Kruger have some ability
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:40 pm

I reckon there's no reason we can't have another tilt. Been listening to Macrae speeches ad iterum. Bung still fizzing.
Then where Leppitsch* brought in his 3x Premiership medals to the boys and said if they liked this feeling, then keep going.

*"The players have to buy in because if they don't buy in you don't get the result."

*"It takes everyone to be pushing in the same direction and we've got that."

What other Clubs have this going on? Adelaide, GWS, Hawthorn are the only other environments where I can sense the playing group is as invested.

With Ed Allen, Finn Macrae, Ash Johnson and Harvey Harrison knocking down the door for a regular spot in 2024, I can't see us falling too far.

I still see our biggest risk are our defensive talls. If Moore goes down for a block of games or longer, my confidence goes with it.
Murphy is one concussion away from time being called on his career. I read where a journo who had connections in the head trauma space view that he's already passed that point.

As a result, I believe we haven't seen the last of G.Wright's list management masterclass. Nor what D.Hine is going to throw into the mix.
I reckon they've still got a surprise in stall for us. Wright will either hand Hine a higher 1st round pick or they'll pull in a player that might be dislodged from their contract early as part of the Taylor Adams trade currency we receive, hopefully their second-round pick 23 / 815 points.

FWIW, I reckon Jeremy Howe will call time. Going out a Premiership player would be a fair epitaph to a 233-game career.
If all of that happens, we might have the cap space and trade currency to negotiate for Tom Barrass from WCE.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:50 pm

Acsess All Areas
Matthew Llyod has Brisbane v GWS as GF teams
Barrett has Brisbane v Carlton

We apparently won’t make it. Bugger no 17th

Sorry what a lot of Fugazee Another poll has us 8th

These flogs need a phyological assessment

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:10 pm

^does it matter? It's an opinion, not a personal attack.
They won't be far away from the mark based on what we know already.
What are your forecasts?

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:15 pm

I’d have It out of 4 sides from this year’s eight

Collingwood
Brisbane
Carlton
GWS.

This four could well be the Prelim sides. But like them it’s an opinion

Know what they say about opinions. They are like arseholes we all have one

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:36 pm

Based on Fly's speech at the Copeland last nigh, any player who over celebrates and comes back to training in less than optimal condition is going to get flogged on the track and spend time in the magoos.

We have hungry young options ready to step in, I don't see a premiership hangover. My view is that Fly will train over preseason is to lift the scoring rate without sacrificing defence. We have the last 3 minute switches he can play and the best playing coach in history in Pendles, 2024 will be about not needing to be in close situations in the last 3 minutes.

McStay missed a large chunk of the season, he'll be hungry.

I'm predicting a Collingwood Carlton GF, Pies by 17 points.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:41 pm

Now Blues v Pies. Now you are talking redemption there

70 , 79 & 81 we have to clear the books

And more bums on seats too

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:43 pm

Fly's speech at the B&F has got me excited again.

The impression I conveyed from his speech is the belief from him and the coaching panel that we're contending again next year. Being the hunted changes the dynamic of how teams perceive us, but I noted earlier that I see a highly motivated group that wants further success.

Fly has been a part of teams that have won consecutive Premierships going back to his days as a player at Brisbane and obviously being an assistant at Richmond in more recent times.

He knows what's required to keep motivation levels high and to back up a successful campaign.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:31 am

To get anywhere near the 2024 Grand Final we have to improve. As they say, if we don't improve we'll be going backwards. How do we improve?

Firstly there's the draft. It's rare to have a first year player step into the side (Hello Nick Daicos) but it's possible. I'm not sure what we'll get for Taylor Adams (21 would be nice but 31 is more likely) but we should unearth some diamonds in our draft pickings.

Then, our younger players have to be given more game time. At the Copeland Jakob Ryan was declared to be the best first year player. That's embarrassing. Nothing against Jakob but if the best first year player is a player who played just one half of one quarter in total for the season, then something is wrong. Ed Allen, Jakob Ryan and Finn Macrae have to be given opportunities. Then there's Charlie Dean. They may be needed if there are injuries. They will certainly be needed in the not too distant future when our older players start retiring.

Then, we have to draft a power forward. We haven't had one since Travis Cloke. They don't grow on trees and they're not easy to find, or draft, or trade for. But we have to. It was a superb team performance to win the premiership with Miocek being the sole genuine forward. Jamie Elliott had a poor finals series and Ginnivan hasn't shown he can be a dangerous forward for a whole game. McCreery has potential but Kreuger is too injury prone. Ash Johnson has talent but he's too inconsistent. Lightning doesn't strike twice and if we can't shore up our forward line it will be difficult to contend again.

Then, we need another midfielder. Taylor Adams will be missed. Some on here have said that we didn't miss him this finals series and we won the flag without him. Yes we did, but would we have beaten Melbourne in the Qualifying Final without him? He played really well that day. He's a good finals player. And what if Tom Mitchell gets injured? Now, any of Allan, Macrae, McInnes or Carmichael might turn out to be that player but we should also try to draft an inside mid.

I'm confident that our coach will re-instil the right mind-set but the team has to be fine-tuned.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:35 am

Another bumper trade and draft.

Throw in a solid off season over summer.

Work hard over that time.

Get some work in our kids and exposer to more AFL games.

Repeat the dose in 2024 i say.

2024 Premiership again i can really see it.

Should end in top 2 or 3 again in 2024.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:36 am

That’s the job of Wright to scour and work his skills

If there is anything out there to improve us over this season Grahame is the man

slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:36 am

2024 will be no different to this year. We were the best team in the AFL in 2023 and once again will be the team to beat.
I am very confident that we will be there when the whips are cracking.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Steven May's view:

https://twitter.com/laceoutofficial/status/1710964514332832243

Mebbe that's why they didn't present 5th place at Copeland night. Don't want players giving oppo ammo! Laughing
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:04 pm

In 2023 the hunger was evident after not feasting for 13 years. This hunger leads to the team to be manic, doing the 1%’s and going the extra step when tackling or applying pressure. The best version of themselves will be different to this season and their challenge is to perform accordingly.
Can they go to the well and fill up again in 2024? I think they can but they need to do the hard work and keep improving because no team sits still.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: