Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Majority of Flag winning team has gone backwards in 2024

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 pm
Post subject: Majority of Flag winning team has gone backwards in 2024Reply with quote

Was Amazing we won the Flag last year and was Well Deserved but lot of Players from the Flag Team has gone Backwards on there last years Form at AFL Level

Only Players I think have Played better are Frampton and Noble. Though Frampton last 2 Games not been as good

Nick and Josh Daicos and Darcy Moore started slow but since the Bye they playing lot Better.

The Rest I feel playing worse then they did last Season

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Dave.

In particular, despite an occasional good game, we have seen a significant drop off in performance from a few of our veterans such as Crisp, Sidey, Cox and Mitchell.

Surprisingly, I reckon Quaynor's contribution has also dropped off a bit, despite a lot of talk over the summer of his super fitness and likelihood of being even better this year.

Clearly, some players will need to lift very quickly or make way for others to be given an opportunity to impress in the seniors.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 am

Exhausion . Physical and mental. 2 very physical massive seasons, most straight back into it in the gym, other teams copying us, having to mix it up, and already, an older team. The loss of a tall at each end. Early start to season, 3 games in 12 days and travelling too, and now 2 in 6 days. . Q looks huge, but he still has to sprint, big ask with such a big body.
Athletes all need tapering. They looked buggered to me on Anzac Day. Look st my pics, the usual run with brigade are not as obvious, too much space and watching on on occasion.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

Lloydy doesn't think we're back yet...

Matthew Lloyd’s ‘biggest worry’ with Collingwood at the moment.
De Goey not travelling that well. Sidebottom was pretty poor.
Mitchell subbed out. Josh not to his best and fairest winner from last year.
Pendlebury another year older. "Biggest worry is the midfield"

https://www.3aw.com.au/matthew-lloyds-biggest-worry-with-collingwood-at-the-moment/

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

think positive wrote:
Exhausion . Physical and mental. 2 very physical massive seasons, most straight back into it in the gym, other teams copying us, having to mix it up, and already, an older team. The loss of a tall at each end. Early start to season, 3 games in 12 days and travelling too, and now 2 in 6 days. . Q looks huge, but he still has to sprint, big ask with such a big body.
Athletes all need tapering. They looked buggered to me on Anzac Day. Look st my pics, the usual run with brigade are not as obvious, too much space and watching on on occasion.

All of this. It’s odd because the players are as fit as they’ve ever been, but match day is always a different level.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

Good topic for discussion Mr Dave The Man- thank you...

All of the above points are valid.

Missing Murphy and McStay (from either end).
Missing Adams to partner Mitchell as a 'grunt' midfielder.
Missing Ginnivan's on-field input.

I like Lloyd's take on the Pies- he is one of the few that can be objective about the Magpies when he writes.

A few points I would like to raise:

* every side in the comp is six months older, but our list was 'older' anyways so it may seem a bigger effect on us than others.
* our game plan will have been dissected by the 17 other clubs.
* some key movers are down on form: Crisp- notably, Quaynor, Moore, Cox, Sidebottom, Howe.
* the draw/fixture has done us absolutely NO favours!
* the form of the AFL-listed guys in the VFL has not, by-and-large, warranted elevation to the AFL team- it would not be prudent to 'gift' a guy an AFL game if he had not earned it.

To me, McInnes must come back in as well as Macrae to support Mitchell for the game against the Blues- a sneaky chance for the big-bodied Carmichael to make a surprise return to the AFL.

Perversely, today's VFL match may be crucial to the prospects of our AFL team in 2024. The selection Committee would be looking for players who can bash down the selection door.

I am very keen to see how we go against Carlton off an 8 day break.

Win that and we are 4 Wins, 3 Losses and 1 Draw; then we play West Coast (off a 9 day break) and Adelaide off a 6 day break- both at The 'G.
Conceivably, we could be 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw after losing our first three.
Not bad for a team that is not at 'peak' form..

Look for the glass half full folks.

Dave The Man is right that we are somewhat below our best- that is a chilling thought for the other clubs if we still manage to get to 6, 3 and 1 after 10 rounds!!

Floreat Pia folks

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm

^ We play EAGLES at Marvel unfortunately. In terms of those who have improved this year:
* Darcy Cameron: take a bow
* P Lipinski: fitter and better

Those who've maintained:
* Brody Mihocek
* Jamie Elliott:
* J Daicos
* Nick Daicos
* Pendles
* Jordan DeGoey

Declined: Most of the rest

Selection integrity is important and as seen with Harvey Harrison on Saturday, there is more in our Reserves team than most on Nick's give credit to. They need rewarding and the Senior players need to feel they cannot rest on 2023 laurels. We need to play only two of: Mitchell, Pendles and Steele with a rotational "managed" program implemented ASAP.

Who can come in for who?
* Dean: for Frampton when suited. Unfortunately Billy plays the man more than the ball and we need more possessions down back
* McInnes: can rotate with WHE in and out when required
* Carmichael: has ability and goal nous and should keep the heat on McCreery who simply cannot keep getting 6 possessions, 2 tackles and a goal per week.
* Bytel: when resting Mitchell
* Joe Richards: one or two more lacking performances from Schultz and Richards should take his spot.
* Allan: for Sidebottom
* Macrae/Sullivan: for Mitchell again

I'd also be playing A Johnson as a "last chance saloon" opportunity down back to see if he can do a Liam Jones otherwise he is traded in October.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 pm

^ Today (against a side that won its first game for the year, against us):
Dean - 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks
McInnes - 6, 7 and 1 (and 2 behinds)
Carmichael - 10, 5 and 5 (and 2 goals)
Bytel - 3, 12 and 3
Richards - 11, 3 and 1 (and 1 goal, 1 behind)
Allan - 6, 10 and 0 (4 tackles)
Macrae - 18, 12 and 6 (4 tackles, 6 clearances)
Sullivan - 13, 6 and 2 (3 tackles, 5 clearances).

Of that lot, only Dean and Macrae would likely be under consideration for the Carlton game. And that is the problem - plenty of spots available but no-one much putting their hand up.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

Carmichael's effort is not bad. He consistently kicks goals
He was named in the backline. Wonder if they actually started him there.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:

Vs Carlton, he played as a permanent forward 3 goals
Vs Coburg, he played wing. 1 goal
Vs Bombers ( I only watched last quarter ) he played forward of centre again. 2 goals.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

The fixture has been absolute shit for us, I cannot recall any Premier team, getting a tougher first 7 matches than us, plus this very short break between games too. As for age, the Cats have an ageing list, and are doing pretty well. Lets see how we go when we finally start playing a few easier teams as others above us have.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
Lloydy doesn't think we're back yet...

Matthew Lloyd’s ‘biggest worry’ with Collingwood at the moment.
De Goey not travelling that well. Sidebottom was pretty poor.
Mitchell subbed out. Josh not to his best and fairest winner from last year.
Pendlebury another year older. "Biggest worry is the midfield"

https://www.3aw.com.au/matthew-lloyds-biggest-worry-with-collingwood-at-the-moment/

Agree with his opinion that our biggest issue is the midfield.
He says JDG and Jaicos are down compared to last year - maybe so, but that is a form issue which is not permanent.
The permanent issue however is the lack of support for Tom Mitchell - atm we don't seem to have confidence in either Fin or Sullivan.
No progress is possible though unless we give both of them the chance. Either one must play next week.
Also, Harvey Harrisson needs to be rewarded for his impact in the final quarter.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:

Vs Carlton, he played as a permanent forward 3 goals
Vs Coburg, he played wing. 1 goal
Vs Bombers ( I only watched last quarter ) he played forward of centre again. 2 goals.

is he one who is gathering form for senior selection?

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 am

This is why I haven't lost hope. Improvement needs to come mostly from what we already have, but the talent is there. There's not much else coming through. The challenge is staying healthy and regaining then maintaining the rage for a full season
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm

Interesting Rudeboy mentioned Quaynor. He is so down on confidence right now. Hesitant going for the ball, his intercepts have dried up, he's losing more one on ones than he wins and his decision making has been poor also. With Murphy gone and Howe fading, Isaac's poor form is becoming crucial. Ideally he should have a spell in the VFL to recover his confidence and form but who could come in? Markov?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: